Sunday, January 17, 2016

Lots of Lists

Sorry for the quiet.  Things are going quite well on this end - so well, in fact, it's lead to more than a few moments of panic.  You see, I'm not used to feeling alright during pregnancy and actually having that be okay.  A FB/blogging friend was nice enough to send me her fetal doppler this week and that has helped immensely as I'm in the middle of the "teen" weeks, in which I feel human (good in fact), but don't have a lot of signs to remind me that the pregnancy is progressing.  Being able to listen to that little heartbeat is just a Godsend right now.

But other than that I'm in a period of planning and making a lot of lists.  I'm a planner by nature, I like to know where things are going and there's a lot to do in the next 5 months.

Some of it's practical like organizing the house, rearranging a few rooms for the new addition, sorting out things like clothes, diapers and the like.  Originally, our plan for rooming kids together worked because they would be closer in age.  Now that we have to consider two children, potentially of the opposite gender, who are over 5 years apart we have to push a few ideas out and start from scratch.  So I've started looking into things like bunk beds and bedroom storage.  The age gap also means I'll have a small baby with a growing boy's toys and things, and apparently as they get bigger the parts of their toys get smaller - actions figures with accessories, Legos, and various things that make up Henry's budding "collections" will need to be accessible, but safe.

Some of it's a bit more frivolous - things I'd love to sewing and knit before the baby is here; though knitting is further down the list since it's a summer baby.  I've been dreaming up baby knits here. And I definitely need to go thru my yarn stash and see what I've got and what I need.  I'm woefully behind in the projects I started this winter already and just need to sit down and get a few things off the needles first.

I've also been indulging myself in vintage baby sewing patterns.  For myself I love a good 50's or 60's dress, but for little kids I'm all about the late 60's and 70's.  It seems to be the time where little kids clothes hit a peak of cute and practical (probably thanks in a large part to knit fabric).

If I get a daughter it's going to be years of rompers, bubble pants and little dress-tops.  Years.
The biggest thing I don't know how to prepare for at all is how to parent two children.  I was an only child, my experience is very limited and full of secondhand observations (luckily my husband had a sibling so it's not the blind leading the blind).  I really have no experience in the day to day managing of this - how to be fair, how to divide up my time and all that.  Books and resources would be lovely at this point.

10 comments:

  1. You'll figure out parenting two :) books can only do so much since you'll all have unique personalities and strengths, in my opinion :) you just kind of get dumped into it and you just keep swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The transition to two kids, for me, was all about just staying calm and remembering that people have done this for thousands of years. It takes a bit to get the hang of it, and it will be hard in ways, but it isn't impossible and you are in good company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're going to be just fine transitioning to two, while to age gap makes toy storage more difficult it should be a blessing in his helpfulness level! And I wish we lived closer--if we did I would make you sit down and teach me how to sew clothes from patterns because I would dearly love Margaret to wear that little dress top with bubble pants--for the next five years or so :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I promise you'll figure it out! You'll know your kids better than any books do, and you'll figure out how to make time for H while still caring for new baby. It's a bit of a juggling act for sure, but you'll be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll figure it out! There's a 4 year gap between P & K so what I can tell you from experience is that it's nice the older sibling can keep himself occupied while you are feeding or can help with diaper changes, "reading" stories, etc. it's much easier that way. The girls are 19 mo apart and that was really hard because S wasn't at all independent yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly, I was a little girl in the late 60s and 70s, and my mom kept several of the dresses/jumpers/short sets that my four sister and I wore. Both my girls wore them when they were small. Some were homemade (my grandfather was a tailor) and some store-bought. Those items are safely tucked away, in excellent shape, for their kids, if that's what God has in mind for them. There is no ruining that Danskin double-knit polyester, and it's actually quite comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just moved Peter into John Paul's room, and if Peter would just *sleep* it would be fine! Ikea bunk bed ftw, hard-to-open storage containers for things with small pieces, and no fair getting mad at baby for getting into a toy you shouldn't have left out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved, loved, loved your devotion for BIS yesterday. God bless. You will figure out two kids, no problem. It will come naturally. Five kids is the tipping point...unail then, smooth sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally with you on the list-making! I feel like I haven't done that much in the way of getting ready for Baby (I'm only 18 weeks, so I've got some time), but I'm slowly getting into that. I have friends lined up for sewing parties (and machine loans, since I don't have my own sewing machine) and a monthly list of when I need to make different items (baby carrier, nursing pads, knitting random cute baby things, etc.). I think you'll do great as a mama of 2; I'm the second oldest of 6 kids, so I saw my parents go through a lot of phases as they read different parenting and discipline books-what I learned is that parents really just learn as they go, and different things work for different people. So while the books and resources can provide good insights, ultimately you and your husband will know what is best for your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like with learning new parenting skills (like how to parent two children), it's *always* a little bit of the blind leading the blind, even if you had siblings yourself. There are so many areas of parenting I feel my parents were wonderful examples of (instilling a love of our faith, their model of discipline, etc) but I still feel lost with those things as a parent myself!

    Transitions are always difficult but I think you're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...