But more about the skirt and less about my questionable measuring practices.
Fabric: Some kind of cotton denim, but probably a synthetic blend.
Cost: $2, thanks a perfectly timed garage sale
Pattern: I used the skirt from this pattern (this is the same pattern I used to make the top of last weeks dress).
Notes: While I used the pattern for the shape I first tried to gather it all the way around and it just looked poofy and wrong, then I tried pleating it and again - wrong. Then I tried some more intentional gathers leaving the center front and sides (exactly one Edel Gathering picture wide on each side ;) ) smooth and bingo. I also managed to make this a little bit a little big just like my last dress and skirt - thank you female body that changes shape each week - so on this one I added a little elastic to the back to help keep it snug without redoing the whole thing.
Next up - a shirt!