Can you tell by the pictures that I'm 1) not a professional fashion blogger 2) slightly embarrassed to have my husband taken pictures of me in the backyard 3) might secretly be an Irish Vampire?
Dear sweet Jesus, Molly - get some sun! (and a haircut)
This dress was a quick sew with New Look 6587. I used pattern D to get the bodice, but then had to make my own skirt due to fabric restrictions as I had bought the fabric months ago without a pattern in mind. It's pretty much a dirndl, but I like it. The fabric is just some quilting cotton I got for $4 a yard at Joann's a few months ago (so about $8 total for fabric), the bodice is lined with some fabric I picked up years ago from Goodwill for about $2 and the piping is store bought, another $4. I had to fudge the closures as I'm currently unable to do machine buttons (don't have the right foot), so I closed the dress with trouser hooks on the bodice and whopper-poppers on the skirt.
I had to do a big alteration up the back and take out a good amount of inches, and along the bust seams. My next version needs a slight alteration in the shoulder, but it's not a bad fit.
Not my best, but pretty darn good for having not sewn for four years and kind of making it up as I went along and definitely not too bad for a $14 dress!
I'm definitely happy to have some color in my wardrobe..... now to work on that tan.