Friday, June 5, 2015

So.... a Needle Pulling Thread.









Can you tell by the pictures that I'm 1) not a professional fashion blogger 2) slightly embarrassed to  have my husband taken pictures of me in the backyard 3) might secretly be an Irish Vampire?

Dear sweet Jesus, Molly - get some sun! (and a haircut)

This dress was a quick sew with New Look 6587.  I used pattern D to get the bodice, but then had to make my own skirt due to fabric restrictions as I had bought the fabric months ago without a pattern in mind.  It's pretty much a dirndl, but I like it.  The fabric is just some quilting cotton I got for $4 a yard at Joann's a few months ago (so about $8 total for fabric), the bodice is lined with some fabric I picked up years ago from Goodwill for about $2 and the piping is store bought, another $4.  I had to fudge the closures as I'm currently unable to do machine buttons (don't have the right foot), so I closed the dress with trouser hooks on the bodice and whopper-poppers on the skirt.

I had to do a big alteration up the back and take out a good amount of inches, and along the bust seams.  My next version needs a slight alteration in the shoulder, but it's not a bad fit.

Not my best, but pretty darn good for having not sewn for four years and kind of making it up as I went along and definitely not too bad for a $14 dress!

I'm definitely happy to have some color in my wardrobe..... now to work on that tan.

16 comments:

  1. Molly you have a superpower! I think you the dress looks wonderful, and I love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You've inspired me to dig out my sewing machine again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cute, you're cuter--awesome job! ...what's a whopper popper though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =D These! http://www.richardthethread.com/index.php?src=directory&view=shop_richard&refno=664&srctype=shop_richard_detail

      Delete
  4. I don't understand half of what you just said but I am super impressed by your skills and also, you look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great, Molly! I love it! Do you take orders? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so cute! I am really impressed with your well formed talent, Molly. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! And I love the fabric, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh!! So cute...you could give Maria Von Trapp a run for her money when she made clothes out of drapes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!!! Now I want you to sew all the things and inspire me to maybe sew ONE thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you are absolutely adorable! Can't wait to see what you work up next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this looks so great!! You should be proud of this dress! Absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute, girl! So cute! It still astounds me to imagine people having such a talent that they _make their own clothes_.

    Ooo, if you want to look less like an Irish vampire (avoid overexposure ;) ) have the hubs take your picture outside but in the shade, so like on the side of the house or under the trees or a porch. That should help with the dazzling Twilight skin! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I chose the worst spot, I think for my next two posts I'm going to take pictures on the northside of our house - sunny, but not so intense!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...