Monday, June 22, 2015

Postcards From the Garden







This year is a good reminder that gardening is skill you acquire and to a certain extent you're always at the mercy of things outside of your control (sounds a lot like my life these last few years).  I probably needed a year to remind me that I can't expect great results without more work - so I'll start reading up on soil amending and compost and things like that for the fall.  I need to figure out what to feed the hydrangea so the blooms are blue next year (pink is fine, but we got it to be blue) and what to feed the lillies so they're taller.

So right now we're tromping through - the spinach is about ready to be pulled up and I have some lettuce to replace it.  The potatoes look good for the most part, but the onions just don't look great yet and the broccoli is a favorite of the critters.  I think we need some good hot weather in July for those onions and I need to figure out a way to deter the critters just for a little bit.

Our raspberries look alright - we have more first year shoots than second or third year so I'm thinking next year will be our boom year, but we'll get something thing year.  Luckily the black raspberry bush at my parents house is thriving and already filled with black raspberries.

The flowers I've planted this year are doing okay so far - the Black-eyed Susans are doing well and the Coreopsis and Bellis are on their second rounds of blooms.  The Hollyhock seed I put down has produced a few shoots so I'm hoping it gets big enough to bloom at seed for next year.  The original flowers on the Bee Balm have died of - but there are small shoots coming up on each which bodes well for a few more flowers.  Almost all of the bulbs I planted have died off for the season and I'm crossing my fingers the critters haven't dug up all them by the fall.

We did start a big project we've been planning for a while - we finally found the right edgers for our back and north beds and put those in while peeling up the pavers that were acting as edgers on the north side.  Two deep - why were they two deep?  I will never know, but I do know that because the pavers were two deep they gave us just about enough to basically lay a (right now very wobbly) bit of walk way in the back, dark corner.  It still need a lot of work and finesse, but it makes me excited to see what we can get done this year and how the whole yard will look next.  I'm hoping all the perinneals I put in this year will decrease the amount of time the garden beds demand in general in terms of slightly less need for mulch, weeding, etc.

After this series of storms passes I hope to get what should be the last round of flowers in the ground for this year, but I'll hold off until next time to share what all else there will be.

Right now it's just about time and I definitely don't feel like there's enough hours in the day to do everything (says the gal looking over her computer at the mound of laundry she hasn't even started yet).  Trying to figure out garden work and home care, regular chores, enjoyable activities, etc. is definitely a balancing act I have not perfected yet.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, the painful gardening lesson of learning to admit you're not in control. *sigh*
    Your soil is alkaline. That's why the hydrangeas are pink. You need to make the soil more acidic. This is a fun post on how: http://www.gardenista.com/posts/magic-trick-how-to-make-your-hydrangea-change-color

    Our broccoli and kale were being CONSUMED by cabbage worms. We used a one-two combo of: a. Lotus pulling off all worms by hand, 2x a day, and dusting the plants with this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A7RNB6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

    IT WORKED LIKE MAGIC. After a week, the plants were totally worm free, and the broccoli heads just SHOT UP. All that, and organic!

    Your sunflowers look gorgeous- and they already have buds! Mine look to be about 2 weeks behind you. Can't wait to see them open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic - though I think our critters are of the rabbit and chimpmunk variety, but I'll keep the dust in mind.

      Delete
    2. You and Cari are so cute. I wish we were in a gardening club together.

      Delete
    3. Oh- Liquid Fence! I swear by that stuff.

      Delete
  2. You can use miracid by miracle grow on your hydrangeas. This will both fertilize and make the soil around it acidic. Make sure to start in early spring before the buds appear, then continue through mid summer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...