Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Gift of the Annunciation

Many women in my situation hate the Feast of the Annunciation, it's just another reminder to them that God has not given them a baby.  Sometimes we're even bitter towards Mary for what she got the same way we feel the pangs of jealousy when another friend or family member in a less than ideal situation announces a surprise pregnancy.  You gave *her* a baby, perhaps someone, like Mary, who's not married, or very poor or very young, and not me... again.

It hard sometimes to see the struggle in the blessing and the blessing in the struggle.  More so because so many of us feel judged for our small families; the sideways looks that tell us a person is wondering if there's something wrong with our bodies or our marriages, if we're being selfish.

The Annunciation is seen as a gift, the gift was Mary's fiat and it was given to the world.

Today I ask that you give a gift as well.

The next time you see one of us -

  • the family in the traditional church with "only" a few children
  • the married couple who is celebrating another anniversary and not pregnant
  • the family with that only child whose just getting older with no sibling
  • the family who might be carrying the hidden pain of medical issues, financial burdens or anything that is keeping their family from being what it isn't
  • and so many more families that just don't fit the perfect big family mould
Say thank you for the miracle that are our children - no matter our circumstances, no matter the choices we're struggling with.  Give us the gift of seeing our children or our families as the struggling, holy example they are.  Give us the gift of seeing our children as amazing gifts no matter whether we struggle with our own fiats or not.  Give us the gift of prayer whether you know our struggles or not - ask that our prayers are answered or our circumstances changed.  Give us the gift of assuming the best of us not the worst.

Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. I am absolutely praying for you, and all other "small" families. Please pray for me, that I may constantly be given humble and generous reminders like this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will, Molly. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We struggle with subfertility, and I remember Mary being a comfort when we were trying to have our second and everyone else was easily getting pregnant. I would remind myself Mary had "just one," too. It's a small thing, but it gave me a lot of comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We struggle with subfertility, and I remember Mary being a comfort when we were trying to have our second and everyone else was easily getting pregnant. I would remind myself Mary had "just one," too. It's a small thing, but it gave me a lot of comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much truth and wisdom here. I struggle with getting so mad at mothers who seem to complain their way through motherhood. I know it's hard, I'm not even a mother, and I know it's hard. I just think, "You're complaining about something that many of us wish we had." It's like complaining about your job to someone in the unemployment line. Anyway, we need to the gift of acceptance for the life circumstances of OTHER people, not just our own. We need to be loving and generous with our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...