It hard sometimes to see the struggle in the blessing and the blessing in the struggle. More so because so many of us feel judged for our small families; the sideways looks that tell us a person is wondering if there's something wrong with our bodies or our marriages, if we're being selfish.
The Annunciation is seen as a gift, the gift was Mary's fiat and it was given to the world.
Today I ask that you give a gift as well.
The next time you see one of us -
- the family in the traditional church with "only" a few children
- the married couple who is celebrating another anniversary and not pregnant
- the family with that only child whose just getting older with no sibling
- the family who might be carrying the hidden pain of medical issues, financial burdens or anything that is keeping their family from being what it isn't
- and so many more families that just don't fit the perfect big family mould
Say thank you for the miracle that are our children - no matter our circumstances, no matter the choices we're struggling with. Give us the gift of seeing our children or our families as the struggling, holy example they are. Give us the gift of seeing our children as amazing gifts no matter whether we struggle with our own fiats or not. Give us the gift of prayer whether you know our struggles or not - ask that our prayers are answered or our circumstances changed. Give us the gift of assuming the best of us not the worst.