Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Easter Edition



Dyeing eggs the old fashioned way - Paas tablets from the grocery store.



Which apparently make pretty decent watercolors

Which, as it turns out, are a good way to distract your family while you set up the Resurrection Rolls (which failed rather spectacularly).

So instead of yummy rolls, you get instant Easter decorations.

That don't look too shabby.

Now for something completely different - a little linking up with Kendra-

1. What did you and your family wear to Mass on Easter Sunday?

Here's H. and I.  Daddy didn't have the day off.

That's no camera trick.  I really am that short and my 3 year old is that tall.


We were *that* family who sat in the front row only to have a child have an epic meltdown right before the consecration.  It was, well, epic.

2. Easter Bunny: thumbs up or thumbs down?

We do Santa and the Easter Bunny.  Plain and simple.  I don't think I'm "lying" to my kids anymore by playing along with these fantasy creatures than I do on a semi-regular basis about if there are any cookies in the house.  I think make believe is good for the mind, and we make sure that these gift-givers are closely tied into the real reason we celebrate the holidays.

In our house these are the kind of things the Easter bunny brings - religious books, wooden farm animals, outside toys and some candy.


The Easter Bunny brings fun things and hides eggs in our house and is never seen.  He does not lurk around in malls.  No creepy mall Bunny here.


3. Do you prefer to celebrate holidays at your own house or at someone else's house?

If we had a big enough house to comfortably host everyone I like having people over, but we don't so they're usually at someone else's house.

4. What is your favorite kind of candy?
Like Kendra, Reese Peanut Butter Cups

5. Do you like video games?
I get bored with them easily.  I don't really see the draw to spending long amounts of time on something that doesn't really have anything to show for it.

6. Do you speak another language?
I know a little Spanish, but nothing close to fluency. 

We might have told H. that dinosaurs were going to hatch out of the broken ones....
 

20 comments:

  1. Whew. I was beginning to think we were the only family in Christendom still using an Easter dye kit.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids just loved their books!

      Delete
    2. I'm so happy they liked the books! And yes, I always think "this year we'll do onion skins or silk ties, etc., etc.", but cheap and easy is, well, cheap and easy. =D

      Delete
  2. Your decorations turned out so cute! We aren't against Paas tablets here but I always forget to buy them so food coloring it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those watercolor Easter eggs are so cute - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's nice having an Easter decoration that you won't mind throwing away at the end. We can keep doing these year after year and see how they change.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the decorations. Great way to use up the rest of the dye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was one of those, well this is going to work or make a HUGE mess kind of ideas. Glad it worked out.

      Delete
  5. We also did the Paas eggs and had resurrection roll fails! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours definitely resembled an empty tomb when we were done... but not in a good way.

      Delete
  6. All my life I have been dying eggs in coffee mugs because that is the way my mom did it. It never occurred to me to dye eggs in a bowl. A bowl fits two at a time! You just rocked my world! And yes, we are all about the Paas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad we're not the only ones out there! And, yeah, we use bowls because my inability to remember about the Laws of Displacement means anything in a cup will just be a mess. However, it does mean you can get some fun multi-color patterns!

      Delete
  7. Looks like a wonderful Easter! You looked beautiful. Would you mind telling me where you found the little wooden animals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We got our from Georgia Wooden Toys, and yes I went a little overboard this year. There will not be that many in any Easter basket to come at one time. But they are lovely, and well made so worth the cost. https://www.etsy.com/shop/GeorgiaWoodenToys

      Delete
    2. Wonderful!! We love Holztiger, but these look even better!! Pretty/well made toys are worth the extra money…or so I think. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  8. Ha, that picture of the two of you together cracks me up - that's absolutely what I look like when I hold my son :) And I'm not gonna lie, we went the "natural" route for dying Easter eggs this year solely because I was fascinated by the process and wanted to experiment and see what happened! But I was a liiiittle nostalgic for the good old Paas kits :)

    Happy Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm a sucker for the Pass nostalgia too. And it only comes around once a year right?

      Delete
  9. I never thought to use the leftover dye for watercolors... great idea! And then you even cut them into Easter egg shapes and used them as decorations? You rock! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year I'm definitely rocking the "I have nothing planned to do for this holiday.... let's try.... THIS!" and so far it's working, it might become my go to state of mind.

      Delete