Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Preparing the Pantry:Soup Day

Welcome back to Part 2 of my September Series "Preparing the Pantry".  Today I wanted to share some of my favorite meal related pantry staples; what I keep on hand for Soups.


I love having soup basics on hand at all time - I can make an easy, simple and hearty meal out of a few on hand ingredients keeping these things on hand.  I can plan ahead and use the crock pot, or even just throw a quick pot on the stove if I'm lacking in the planning category that week.


  1. Dry Soup Mix - We pick up these mixes at our local Bulk Amish Food Store, and it's well worth it.  We use them for bases in our soups, and use some with milk to make sauces for other favorite recipes.
  2. Boullion - Great to have on hand when you run low on stock and helpful for picky family members who want homemade soup to taste more like the canned varieties.
  3. Chicken, Vegetable and Beef Broth and/or Stock - I'm still buying this canned, but learning to make my own is on the list

  1. Noodles - I like keeping a range of noodles on hand, but my favorite for soups are these small and medium sized noodles.  The small noodles are perfect alone in chicken broth for noodle soup when you have a little one with a queezy tummy.
  2. Dried Soup Veggies - These dried mixed veggies are perfect to top off some homemade soup and are even good thrown into other meals to get a few more veggies in each serving.
A few of my favorite Hearty Soup Additions
  1. Dried Peas and Corn
  2. Barley
  3. Lentils
  4. Mixed Soup Beans 

  1. Beans - I like keeping mixed beans for basic soups and always keep a variety of kidney and pinto beans on hand for chili.

I find it handy to have a few other things on hand for the Soup section of your pantry, because what's a hearty bowl of soup without bread to go along with it?


Bread can be tricky to perfect and I'm still learning so I keep a couple boxes of bread mix (the kind that can be made by hand or in our bread machine) on hand and I love to keep plain cornmeal around too.  Nothing can beat real homemade Cornbread (not the boxed cornbread mix).  For us Cornbread takes a little preplanning just because I prefer it made with Buttermilk and that's not something I keep in the fridge every week, but it's well worth the trip to the store.  My favorite Buttermilk Cornbread Recipe can be found HERE, and it's one of the few recipes that I suggest keeping the sugar at it's prescribed measurement.

 By keeping the basics on hand I find I can knock out a good soup with whatever is left over in the fridge - a little chicken, the last of the bag of carrots, ground hamburger, the potatoes I forgot about and need to use.

Shared @ Frugally Sustainable

5 comments:

  1. There is a fool proof recipe for bread hopping around my group of friends that I almost always make on soup days. It is SO easy (easy enough that I have it memorized!) and requires very little planning ahead. It is not the most fabulous or most complex, but it is yummy and quite serviceable as sandwich bread also.

    Salt Bread

    2 cups white flour
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    2 tsp. active dry yeast
    2 tsp. salt
    2 cups warm water
    1 glug of olive oil

    Combine the dry ingredients well, then add the water and olive oil and combine (easiest by hand). Cover the bowl and let rise for 1/2 hour to all day--I've done everything from 1/2 hour to 8 hours and it's been fine. Preheat the oven to 500. Turn dough out onto baking sheet or stone and smooth top with wet hands. Sprinkle with salt (I use kosher). Bake for 5 minutes at 500 and then turn the oven down to 450 and bake for 20-25 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I meant to say that I wanted to share it as a 'thank you' for your blog. I've been following along for a little while and have enjoyed it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Molly!! Where do you get the little noodles?

    Stock is super easy to make - place the meat carcass/bones/etc. or veggies in a crockpot full of water and cook overnight or all day. Strain (or just pick out the stuff you don't want in there - I usually pull out the chicken bones, etc. and leave the tiny bits of meat). And you're done! I freeze my broth but you could can it too.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get my noodles at a local Amish bulk foods store, but I've seen similar in the grocery store in the pasta section mixed in with the egg noodles. =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...