Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Preparing the Pantry: Other Essentials

Welcome back to Part 3 of Preparing the Pantry.  We'll have one more part in the series next week to wrap up and then on to October!  Don't forget to check out PART 1 and PART 2



Today I wanted to share a few of the other items that I keep on hand, but first I wanted to share a little more about why I like keeping a well stocked pantry.

I Keep A Well Stocked Pantry Because:
  • It gives me flexibility in my meal choices.  If I don't get around to meal planning for the week or life throws a curve, I have plenty of options without needing to immediately run out to get pizza.
  • It gives me reason to cook more from scratch.  I can find a new recipe and try it out without needing a separate grocery trip.
  • It gives me the opportunity to be generous.  If a friend or family member gets thrown a curve I have the materials at hand to provide.  If the neighborhood kids come around collecting for the food pantry I have no reason not be generous.
  • It gives me the ability to be prepared.  I live in an area where weather can be tricky and little bit scary.  If I loose power, or am housebound for a day or two we don't have to worry about getting to the store.  And if you've ever seen a Midwestern Approaching Blizzard rush at a grocery store you too would do what you could to avoid it.
  • It gives me flexibility in my budget.  When times are a little easier I can stock up and if things get tight it will be a little while before the belt tightening would affect the size of our meals.

To round out our well stocked pantry discussion I wanted to share my top 20 Essentials:

  1. Flour - White and Wheat
  2. Sugar
  3. Baking Powder
  4. Baking Soda
  5. Vanilla Extract
  6. Olive Oil
  7. Honey
  8. Oatmeal - I like Quick Oats and Steel Cut
  9. Tomato Sauce
  10. Tuna and Canned Chicken
  11. Popcorn
  12. Ketchup
  13. Mustard
  14. Maple Syrup
  15. Vinegar - White, Apple Cider, Balsamic, Red and White Wine
  16. Worcestershire Sauce
  17. Pasta - Shells, Lasagna, Spaghetti, Macaroni Elbows
  18. Favorite Spices - Oregano, Garlic, Onion, Cumin, Cinnamon, etc.
  19. Cocoa
  20. Dried Fruits - Cranberries, raisins, blueberries etc.

Do you keep a pantry?  What are some of your must haves?
Shared @ Little House in the Suburbs and  Frugally Sustainable 

7 comments:

  1. I love this Molly! Because I live so far from town/city I only go grocery shopping maybe once a week, but never meal plan, so I always have to be ready to cook whats in my pantry. I have all types of canned tomatoes, different types of rices and quinoa, and everything you said. I then I usually make it work for whatever meats in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful list!
    I'm pinning this AND!!!! IN THE NAME OF PREPARED-NESS... I'm copying it into my hardcopy notebook.
    I just don't know how prepared one can be without a library and pen and paper. LOL...
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet - I've got everything you listed :) Sometimes you come upon these lists and they're weird - the other day I saw a magazine that listed canned clams as a staple. Really?? I don't think I've ever eaten canned clams!

    I have to agree with Christy above that various canned tomatoes are necessities on my shelves, especially diced. And we do always have rice, too, though it's not as handy as pasta when we're in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to keep diced tomatoes and a few jars of tomato paste on hand too. The paste is great for flavoring soups =)

      Canned clams? Not really on my list either ;)

      Delete
  4. Love this list - I try to keep all these items stocked too (along with rice)! I try to always keep canned beans too in case I need to make some quickly and didn't have the foresight to prep any dried beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen some weird magazine lists, too, and I like that yours seems normal to me. For my pantry, I'd have to add canned beans and soy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget dark molasses for baking-yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...