Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Simple Feast and a Very Special Ker-prize.


Our Michaelmas celebrations are simple.  They're not meant to be another Christmas or Thanksgiving - just a reasons to eat good food together and reflect on the changing seasons.  I think the reason Michaelmas is celebrated around the turn on the season is that, in the past, we've needed something to inspire us to be brave and courageous when facing a long winter.  One last hurrah before things changed.


My first homemade Michaelmas chicken turned out perfectly.  I followed this recipe for spices, temperature, etc. and then took a suggestion to add some butter under the skin which I think made this recipe perfect.  The chicken basically cooked in browned butter for three or four hours.  Delicious.

The whole meal was simple, but special.  Just the roast chicken, the veggies, bread and apple cider, but all oh so good!  I also made my Cinnamon Cream Cheese Blackberry Tarts, and my grandparents are still shouting their praises.


And of course there was our special Michaelmas surprise (or Ker-prize if you're a certain adorable 2.5 year old).  We had some friends join us.  Let me introduce you to Sir Michael, Louie and the Very Helpful Dragon .



Mister Very Helpful Dragon looks rather fierce, but I assure you it's all hot air and he has already saved Sir Michael and his faithful servant Louie from many unfortunate falls from high ledges.  It is rather lucky that he is a nice dragon because Sir Michael is currently in an unfortunate habit of forget to bring his sword on his quests.  (Oops)



Sir Michael and Louie were made a few weekends ago by my mother and I based on the Knight and Squire Pattern from Wee Folk Art and using Wooden Rope Dolls from A Child's Dream.  These were actually quite easy to make and probably only took about 3-4 hours total (if you factor in picking out the felt, cutting fabric, etc.)  I have another set of figures that will hopefully become our child's nativity set this year and I can't wait to see how that turns out.

I'm not getting paid or reimbursed to say this - but I was above and beyond pleased with the speed of my transaction with A Child's Dream - my order was shipped under 24 hours after purchase and I had a box on my doorstep within days.

Sir Michael, Louie and the Very Helpful Dragon helped to guard our dessert from invaders.


I can definitely see more of these little guys finding their way into our home in the future - they're the perfect size for figures of Saints and Heroes that little ones can really play with.

We finished off the weekend with a trip with cousins to a pumpkin patch to see animals and point out all the "yucky" pumpkins.  The last time these boys got together they couldn't really talk with each other and it's great to see them acting like old friends.

How was your Michaelmas weekend?  If you celebrated Michaelmas or just the coming Fall this weekend feel free to leave a link!

4 comments:

  1. AAAAAH! Those figurines!! They're fantastic!!! And your chicken sounds fabulous and those tarts look AMAZING! All in all: well done. Sounds like a wonderful little celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. The dolls are adorable. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. Those pastries look absolutely heavenly! And the figures... Just the coolest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...