Friday, April 12, 2013

Why I Would Homeschool Quicktakes - A Postscript

Thank you to everyone who contributed to my discussion about schooling options.  I really love being around so many amazing families who are fiercely committed to insuring a quality education for their children no matter where it takes place or who does the teaching.

I feel just as, if not more, confident in our current decisions for the coming years, but for the sake of argument I thought I'd share a few of  the things that could change my mind as part of this weeks 7 Quick Takes.  If you haven't already, please feel free to peruse "I'm NOT Homeschooling... And It's Not the End of the World"  Parts One, Two and Three.

Right now we plan on starting a public or private school when we reach Kindergarten, but we are still committed to evaluating progress year by year and child by child, but here are a few things that could change my mind.

  1. Poorly Funded or Supported Schools - If the funding suddenly dropped from our district and it couldn't afford to maintain buildings, purchase curriculum, support extra circulars, etc.
  2. Uncooperative Teachers - There are some great teachers out there, and there are some duds.  If we ever ran into a dud that we just couldn't work with we might change our mind.
  3. Bullies and Social Pressure - A little social pressure and bullying isn't a bad thing - children need to learn to navigate the social sphere, but there will always be a limit.
  4. Square Peg/ Round Hold - If I had a child that clearly wouldn't not fit into a regular school environment and non of the private options fit either - it's true some kids aren't made to excel in a regular school.  Currently, with our experience with our daycare this doesn't seem to be the case yet.
  5.  Extraordinary Interests - If I had a child who's dream in life was to be an Olympian or just wants to be a farmer - anything that requires dedicated time and effort outside of the school day.
  6. Junior High - I won't lie if there's one time I dream of being a homeschooling Mom it's the Junior High years.  They're tough, really tough for just about everyone no matter how your schooled with all those hormones and changes.  I have a long term goal of being able to be part-time or a SAHM for the junior high years just to be present if nothing else.
  7. Last, but not least I could just change my mind.  At any point I could look around at what we're given and what we have and feel called to to something else - but we're not there yet.
 In the end it's about the kids - what will suit them best, not my own personal desires.  If they want to be in public school when I want to home-school we'll do public school.  If they want to be home-schooled when I want them in public school we'll do the same.

See more Quick Takes @ conversiondiary.com

3 comments:

  1. Molly, I really admire your take on this issue. As a teacher (until my baby was born; then I switched to a night job) and as a homeschooled student myself, I feel like I have seen some of the best and the worst of both sides. I am actually very passionate about homeschooling (and alternative education), but I do believe that different families and different children have individual needs. I don't necessarily believe the choice should be given to each child, but I do think their needs should certainly be considered. Your thoughts on this have been very nicely balanced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that all means a lot. Of course, as I did my research into this subject I keep coming up with things that make me go "Oooh" - Charlotte Mason booklists and Classical curriculum make me week at the knees.

      One day, I wouldn't mind homeschooling - in fact I'm rather passionate about my idea for Junior High, just not now; however, looking through all these ways of homeschooling is helping me narrow down the things I will look for when evaluating a public or private school.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...