Monday, February 11, 2013

Popeless in the Year of Faith

If you have any Catholic friends at all you probably saw your Twitter or Facebook page blow up with Today's news.  Pope Benedict XVI will be stepping down at the end of the month.

Talk about pulling the rug out.

It's all just strange.  I don't feel like crying or yelling like some... I just feel strange.

What a strange time of the year to be stepping down - announcing right before Lent and not even staying thru Easter.  I can only imagine the seriousness of it all that necessitates such a decision in such an important part of the Liturgical year and respect that.  For me it's doubly strange because I'll be going thru the Rite of Scrutiny this weekend which is pretty much the marker that things are getting real and it's strange to think that for the last part of my process we'll be Popeless, at least for a while.

This year is also the Year of Faith and at first I wanted to shout, how dare he do this in the Year of Faith - where will our direction be?  Now we have to accept the reasons that we do not, and may not ever, really know; wehttp://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=630193682294473340#editor/target=post;postID=1043677131616994834 have to trust in the decisions that are going to be made in the next month and we need to rely on each other and on God to guide everyone in this uneasy, transitional time.

Acceptance, Trust, Reliance on each other and God.... Wait a moment.....

That is Faith.

Message heard loud and clear B16.  Thank you.



4 comments:

  1. I am having the same exact feelings and thoughts as you. I am so confused.

    And on another note - This upcoming weekend is HUGE!!! We'll be going through it together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited for it - we'll have to compare notes next week!

      Delete
  2. Praying for you this weekend, Molly- you're entering the home stretch! I can relate to your feelings about losing "your" Pope, though...I felt the same when we lost JPII as he was the Pope when I joined the Church. Being shepherd-less is a strange feeling. But then, we aren't shepherd-less...the Holy Father was always following the Good Shepherd, anyway, and the rest of us are still doing that (as will the next Pope, whoever that might be!). Blessings to you - know that you're well-covered in prayers for this weekend and the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Molly-
    I'm not Catholic. and I don't understand what it means to be Catholic. I can only understand on the level of my own Faith.
    I know what it is like to be without a Shepherd as I'be been in Churches where the Pastor has resigned or called into a Missionary Life abroad; it is indeed a strange feel.
    I read that the Pope would be resigning his post and that his ailing health and mental faculties were sited as the reason. The irony was not lost on me, that he announced this on the 21st World day of the Sick. (not in a funny way, but just irony)
    The grace of the LORD Jesus Christ be with your spirit. amen. ~Phil.4:23

    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...