Thursday, February 28, 2013

It's a Wrap: February

Totally taking a page from Sarah's book and wrapping up the month of February with a post.  I spent most of this month sick or recovering so it's a light month in general, but I thought I'd share a few favorites.

Reading:

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente


I really enjoyed this read - it was a delightful combination of Alice in Wonderland with a dash of Neil Gaiman and a smidgen of Terry Pratchet's wit.  While there were a few times it felt a little forced, it was still a charming book and I look forward to reading more of September's adventures in the future.

I'm also working thru Book Two of the Kristen Lavransdatter Triology and enjoying book 2 much more than book 1.  I must give the author credit as I think the dislike for Kristen and Erlend I ended book 1 with was intentional and has made Kristen transformation from a silly young girl to a morally aware young woman that much more powerful.

In addition I'm also working through Wendall Berry's Bringing It To The Table. Berry always takes me a little while, because I like to take my time with his essays and they're always worth the time to read.

Listening

As a family we've been fully enjoying the music of the Okey Dokey Brothers and are keeping tracks on them in hopes of catching their next performance near by.

I've been gearing up for March and our annual Gaelic Storm concert!  I really hope they continue a March concert in our area for a few more years it's becoming a great birthday tradition.  One good thing about March birthdays for short, little Irish girls is that there's always a wealth of touring bands around this time of year!  Apparently I'm a bad fan and didn't realize a new cd had come out last year so now I need to catch up!

On My Mind
  • Trying to really, prayerfully discern the next step in growing our family
  • Getting back on the budget train
  • How to educate my children
  • Knowing that I have some really great friends who aren't afraid to share their rough times to let me know I'm not alone.
  • Still very much ready for more sun and warm weather!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to check out Gaelic Storm. Being an Irish girl myself I love anything like that. My little C has an Irish Gaelic name...
    I'm too sleepy to type up my love of Ireland right now but I wanted to share that I finally posted pics from the rite of election ;) I put the camera away when it actually began, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...