Monday, January 14, 2013

Bedside Books for 2013

Oh I love January book posts.  I love seeing how much of the written word is being devoured each year - it gives me hope for the future.  I love getting inspiration for books that I need to taste myself.

I'd love to join in with long, luxurious lists of books that I read in my free time last year or the plans I have for reading no less than two books a day for the next year.

But....

Let's be serious folks.

True, there are some great works I'd love to tackle this year, but I'd also just like to finish a few of the pile of books around my bed.

So for this year I share my inspiring list of "Books I Need to Finish (or at least start) for 2013" taken directly from a stack of books near my bed:
  • Orthodoxy and Heretics by GK Chesterton 
  • A Return to Modesty by Wendy Shalit (This has been on my shelf for about 4 years now)
  • The Sword of the Lady, The High King of Montival, The Tears of the Sun by S.M. Stirling
  • Island in the Sea of Time and Conquistador by S.M. Stirling
  • At least 3 books in the Discworld series
  • Just about every book in the Harry Dresden series (this and the above to get my husband off my back)
  • Most of my Collected Works of C.S. Lewis 
  • At least 3 books in the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt Series by Anne Perry
And of course a list of books I've been meaning to read (or reread) but haven't made it to the bedside yet:
  • The Lord of the Ring Trilogy... haven't actually sat down and read them all since Junior High
  • The Hobbit
  • Signs of Life by Scott Hahn ... Protestants ask you "Have you been saved?" Catholics ask you "Have you read Signs of Life?" (p.s. Sarah O. this was on my list before you published yours and it just made me laugh)
  • Brideshead Revisited
  • Bring in to the Table by Wendall Berry
  • Book 2 and 3 of the Kristin Lavransdattir series 
  • Finish the Little Britches collection by Ralph Moody 
Of course no booklist would be complete without a little sharing of last years books so I give you a few of my favorites.
  • North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
  • Folks, This Ain't Normal by Joel Salatin
  • Little Britches by Ralph Moody
  • The Art of the Commonplace by Wendell Berry
  • Radical Homemaker by Shannon Hayes
  • Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness 
Go Here to see my list of books I'll probably reread at some point this year.

4 comments:

  1. Books! Oh how I love thee! I am having a hard time refraining from purchasing any new (to me) books. I have discovered Goodwill has TONS and TONS of books in my favorite price range $.99 -$1.99. It is so tempting to just pop into Goodwill whenever I drive by. Buuuut I will read all of my previous purchases plus reread The Shack before I buy any more books. I finished The Secret Life of Bees this weekend and am starting a new book tonight. Yay! Hopefully by the end of February I will be able to browse for used books again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for a laugh instigated by my not-so-comical post. I am looking forward to that one! You have several I've never even heard of amongst your lists, which is perfect because I now have extras to add to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting list of books you have on your list. I have favorite authots I read and then any book that the title catches my interest. I love reference/how-to books. I read every night and I keep a book in my car for the times I did not expect to have delays. A "car" book usually takes a few weeks (months) to read. It is like meeting a friend at the doctor's office or waiting for grandchild to get out of school, etc, someone you are glad to see and spend time with instead of being miserable for the "delay" in your plans. Goodwill is my downfall when it comes to books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say...after reading your 're-read' post the other day; I sat on the couch while the Honey watched football, and I downloaded some wonderful Free books for my kindle, Jane Eyre was on the list, along with some E.Poe, T.W. Tozer, Grimms Fairy Tales, and some others. There were over 58,000 free kindle books.
    Now...I personally, like a paper back for carrying along, but since my son got me this Kindle for Christmas (and gave it to me early) I've taken to it quite well. It is lightweight, fits my purse and I pick it up more than I ever thought I would!

    So...while I'm not re-reading any of these titles...I am reading some great books for the first time...in a long time!
    You've inspired me again, Molly!

    thanks, Pat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...