Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Reason for our HolyDays

On Friday, my husband, son and  I were attend the funeral of my husband's great uncle.  We walked together through the graveyard and visited the grave of my husbands Grandfather, two of my husbands Uncles and a baby Aunt who only lived in this world for a month.  Theresa, the little baby, was buried in a long line of children during a time when it was all too common for a family to know the loss of a darling little one.  Most of the stones only had one date to record.

We held the hand of our little boy tightly as we walked back to the car discussing our thankfulness for the times we live in and grief we have yet been spared.

We did not know, at that time, what had happened in Connecticut.

************

Oh my friends I wish had words of wisdom to impart even days after this tragedy has occurred, but I have none to give.  I have cried, held my little guy close and even curled up next to him while he slept just for a few more moments next to him.

I contemplated calling an early end to our link-up.  Celebration in the face of such horror never feels quite right, but instead of going quiet and dark we continue on and I hope you will join us for the rest of the week.

We - Haley, Tammy, Hannah and I did not start the Little Holydays idea as a way to brag about our crafts or fancy traditions.  We did not start LH to show off piles of presents or beautiful Advent Calendars.  We started Little HolyDays with the hope that we could inspire more parents and families to take a step back and savor the little moments that special times can bring.

Those of us who are mothers, in any sense of the word, know all to well the reality of being a parent - the worry and fear that so easily accompanies joy.  We know how precious and fragile life is.  There are no certainties in this life.

We must make joy when we can and so we continue on for the families of 27 precious souls.  We will find ways to make more of our days special and sacred while we can. 

***********

On Saturday night Ben and I went on a date rare date and saw "The Hobbit" and it couldn't have been a better movie to see at such as time.  It was an escape yes, but not without a little bit of meaning to me.  Ben reached out a gave my arm a little squeeze as Ian McKellan spoke these words and tears ran down my cheeks knowing that it was all too timely an assessment.

"Saruman thinks that it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found.  I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love."

And that is why we'll continue on with our Little HolyDay celebration because it's the little, everyday things done by ordinary people that have the power to overcome our darkest times. 

I hope you will continue to share with us your little celebrations from last week and any of them in the days to come.  I hope that you will continue to take little moments from your days and weeks to make the memories that support us during our darker days and I know you will continue to hold your dear ones close during this holiday season for yourself and for those who now can't.

**********


MollyMakesDo

***********
We are three Catholic bloggers who love to observe the liturgical year to deepen our families’ faith and build up the domestic church. We would love to hear about your family’s celebrations and traditions! Please join us in “redeeming the time” in this Year of Faith by sharing your posts about feast days, liturgical seasons, etc. in this new linkup. We are starting at the beginning of the Liturgical Year: The Season of Advent!

Today Tammy and Hannah @ DualingMoms are hosting the link-up! 

Don't forget to stop by my wonderful co-hosts Haley@Carrots for Michaelmas and the wonderful Mother/Daughter Duo Tammy and Hannah @ DualingMoms for more great posts and ideas today and throughout the week.

Todays link-up will be live until Midnight Friday and your always welcome to leave a message on Twitter or in comments of any posts if you'd like a post to be added to our Little HolyDays Pinboard.

For the three of us, this link up is a way in which we plan on exploring and deepening our Catholic faith, but we would really love to hear from bloggers of all denominations and practices.

We welcome you to share your own feasts, festivals, and celebrations as they fall within each week of December. 

Please take a moment to visit the other linkers and leave a short comment to let them know you were there! 

As moderators of this link up, we will reserve the right to remove any offensive or off-topic posts as we see fit, in order to maintain a positive and understanding atmosphere.


 

2 comments:

  1. Your dad reached over and took my hand at that exact phrase Gandolf uttered in the film! Yes, there is a lot of wisdom in Tolkien's works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written.

    Thank you for hosting this link-up! I found it through Carrots for Michaelmas and I've really enjoyed learning through all the posts so far!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...