Sunday, December 30, 2012

Focus 2013: The Year of ....

Last year I wrote a post about using Focus and Priorities to establish a new version of New Year's Resolutions.

For 2012 I chose to Focus on five areas of my life; my priorities for the year:

1. Husband
2. Son
3. Home
4. Spirit
5. Community

with a generally challenge to focus more on "Family" and less on me.

I'm surprised that I actually kept this in mind all year.  This was a year to help my husband start on a more healthy and productive path in his life after years of too much sacrifice in too many areas and to make my self as available as I could to my son.  I'm quite proud of how I spent my year with my "Focus" and shifted priorities in mind.

This year I wanted to do the same - set myself a focus and reevaluate my priorities.  Now this was a little challenging because my 2012 priority list is hard to change so I hope it can be unspoken that this year's list includes items that will always, naturally fall behind priorities like my child and husband.

After much hemming and hawing I've decided that 2013 is to be the Year of "Health" - within this focus word I have assigned my top 5 priorities (all related to my focus).

  1. Body
  2. Mind
  3. Marriage
  4. Friendship
  5.  Home
Body - I need to find a way to give myself time to properly care for my own health, something I'm not so great at and something that fell to the side after a year of choosing to focus more on others - this will come from a variety of sources - examining my food and drink, exercise and finding ways to avoid the pitfall of  schlumpy-mommyness.  I feel fairly confident that sometime this year we were starting trying to expand our family and I want to be prepared.

Mind - Even though I've been out of school for years I want to find more ways to continue to learn - this might be expanding my reading or listening material and might also include less time spent online or following certain types of news.  A healthier spiritual life is also included in this priority.

Marriage - Ben and I can be very dedicated parents, but I want and  I think we need to find ways to refocus on the marriage part of the relationship a little more.  We're approaching our 5 year mark and I can definitely feel the need to reevaluate certain things, like how we spend time together, so that we can continue to foster a healthy marriage - not only for ourselves, but so we can set a good example for our children.

Friendship - I live a very family focused life, which I truly enjoy, but I do know that I need to better foster the friendships I have and maybe step out of my home a little more to expand my local social circle - I am extremely introverted in real life so actively seeking new friends of any kind is quite a big step for me.

Home - I want to continue to learn more about making my home a healthier place for myself and my family - I know we'll be putting in a veggie garden this year and I hope to continue to make more contacts and learn more skills that will support this goal of a healthier home.

So with all this in mind - I say goodbye to the Year of "Family" and say hello to the Year of "Health".

Are you setting a New Year's resolutions, choosing a Focus or reexamining your priorities for the year? Please tell!

10 comments:

  1. Each year the kids, my husband, and myself pick something to work on that is personal and something service oriented. Mine, this year, are:
    1. To finish quilting/sewing projects I started and never finished and donate them/gift them... doesn't sound like much but I am horrible at starting projects, setting them aside and never finished. A trait I noticed a few of my kids are picking up and as such something I need to model to them as being not a good habit and correctable.
    2. To "put on the armour" of God each morning so I can be more gentle with the kids... I am more of a forceful personality when I want something done and as such I tend to become a drill seargant when it comes to chores. This is damaging because I get frustrated when my, self-imposed, expectations don't get met and then I get angry with the kids.
    We like specific goals because then we post them on the refrigerator so we can be reminded all year and not just let them disolve in the first couple weeks of the new year.
    FYI, we also do Faith related goals at the beginning of the Church's New Year (same process but making goals related to Church and Faith!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just heard about setting faith goals at the beginning of the Churches New Year! It's a great idea for next year =)

      I've got a quilting project that I am giving myself a month to start and finish - it will be my and simple, but I'm hoping to have a quilt top done for Henry's 2nd birthday.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy reading your blog and really like your idea of having a year of focus. I'll have to think about what I want to focus on in 2013. When I have my thoughts together, I think I'll blog about it so I have the list to refer to throughout the year.

    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you pick a theme so to speak and gear your year on varying aspects of that Focus. I am not so organized. I do more goals than resolutions but they are usually all over the place maybe that's something I can look into for 2014 or even integrate a little bit into 2013. Since this is the Year of Faith I really do want to focus a little bit on my Faith. Learning more about it, living it out more, integrating it into varying aspects of my life.
    Hope you and your family have a Blessed and Prosperous New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I'm rather excited that my RCIA fell during the Year of Faith - just seems so right. =)

      Delete
  4. I really like your approach to this. I don't have anything profound to say, but I look forward to seeing how your goals come through in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have it all thought out like this (maybe next year) but I am focusing on eliminating stress and focusing on being positive and strengthening our family life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have it all thought out like this (maybe next year) but I am focusing on eliminating stress and focusing on being positive and strengthening our family life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohh...these are all really good Molly! I've been trying to think about this myself and I think I'm going to have to write in order to see what I should be focusing on, or the goals I should be focusing on. I hate evaluating myself and setting out concrete goals for some reason. I am not a planner and maybe I fear the future a little? I've got issues, clearly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...