Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Call to Tremble Or What Scrooge Can Teach Us About "Keeping Christ in Christmas"



We hear a lot of folks, around this time of year, proclaiming from the hills and mountains to "Keep Christ in Christmas".  Folks get riled up about whether or not it's appropriate to use those really cute cards that say "Season's Greetings" or what to do about those tricky friends or family members who don't share our beliefs or traditions.  We have long winded debates about Santa Claus and the roots of our festivals and holidays and rarely, in those discussions, does anyone come out ahead.  We worry so much about what we're keeping in Christmas and then hastily pack it up on December 26th, not to be worried about for another year.

Now, don't get me wrong, we who celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday should be concerned about "keeping Christ" in it.  However,that discussion shouldn't end when we find the ideal Christmas card that will delight both the religious and secular among us.  It doesn't end with us refusing to say anything but "Merry Christmas" to friends and strangers a like.

It needs to go deeper than that.

Ebenezer Scrooge after his restless night of inner transformation fell down on to his own tombstone, the reminder of his own mortality and limitations, pleading to the Spirit of Christmas Yet to Come:

"Good Spirit," he pursued, as down upon the ground he fell before it: "Your nature intercedes for me, and pities me.  Assure me that I yet may change these shadows you have shown me by an altered life?"

The kind hand trembled.

"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.  I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future.  The Spirits of all three shall strive within me.  I will not shut out the lessons that they teach.  Oh, tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone?"

Mr. Scrooge, the perfect example of a battered and frayed human nature, understands what is needed from him for a true atonement of his past failings.  It is not about changing his ways and keeping Christ in Christmas for the month of December, but for the entire year.  He not only opens himself to the truths the Spirits give to him about his own reality, but he opens his heart to the true Spirit of Christmas and his fervent desire to change his ways makes the grim, "unmovable" hand of Christmas Future tremble.  

Would he have received the same reaction for only promising to keep the Spirit Christmas in his heart for a day or even just a month?

So my friends, please do remember to keep Christ in Christmas.  Please consider your words and your actions in this upcoming season of Joy.  Atone for your past misdeeds and lay the path for works of grace and charity, but don't box it all up on Boxing Day.

During this time of the Advent season it is only right to reflect on our past actions and set a new course for our lives.  It is the perfect time to readjust our sights on the desire to keep Christ not only in Christmas, but in every day of the Year and do so with the determination and passion that would make our own Spirits of Past, Present and Future TREMBLE.

Keep Christ in Christmas.

Keep Truth, Justice, Compassion, Charity, Hospitality, Faith, Hope and Love in Christmas

   and when you do so

Keep Christmas in your Heart for all the Year so we might worthy of the simplest of all glad tidings 

"May God Bless Us, Every One." 


MollyMakesDo

***********
We are three Catholic bloggers who love to observe the liturgical year to deepen our families’ faith and build up the domestic church. We would love to hear about your family’s celebrations and traditions! Please join us in “redeeming the time” in this Year of Faith by sharing your posts about feast days, liturgical seasons, etc. in this new linkup. We are starting at the beginning of the Liturgical Year: The Season of Advent!

Today I am hosting the Link - Up and would like to take a minute to point out a few of my favorite posts from last week.  Go HERE for the full list.

I enjoyed reading each one of the posts, but here are few (of many) which really stuck with me:

 Don't forget to stop by my wonderful co-hosts Haley@Carrots for Michaelmas and the wonderful Mother/Daughter Duo Tammy and Hannah @ DualingMoms for more great posts and ideas today and throughout the week.

Todays link-up will be live until Midnight Thursday and your always welcome to leave a message on Twitter or in comments of any posts if you'd like a post to be added to our Little HolyDays Pinboard.

For the three of us, this link up is a way in which we plan on exploring and deepening our Catholic faith, but we would really love to hear from bloggers of all denominations and practices.

We welcome you to share your own feasts, festivals, and celebrations as they fall within each week of December.  Celebrations for this week might include Chanukah, the Feast of St. Lucy, or any of your Advent or Winter Holiday traditions.

Please take a moment to visit the other linkers and leave a short comment to let them know you were there! 

As moderators of this link up, we will reserve the right to remove any offensive or off-topic posts as we see fit, in order to maintain a positive and understanding atmosphere.


 

5 comments:

  1. Sharing this on FB!!! <3 <3 Wonderful!! I'lladd our St. Nicholas day link and will have two more this week for Santa Lucia and the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Thank you Nicole! I can't wait to see your additions!

      Delete
  2. I hope my entry is ok. It's from last week and doesn't really go into our faith (I post about it every year so I try not to repeat myself..) If it's not ok I'll understand you taking it down :)
    Back to sewing for a special surprise for my girls on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this post, Molly. As we're already half way through Advent (when did that happen?) I almost find myself wishing it was just a bit longer. The peace we've had in our home because of our simpler approach this season just cannot be understated. Then, after reading and reflecting on this, I'm realizing that it doesn't have to end. We can keep this peaceful spirit in our hearts all year long! Yay!
    -Hannah
    dualingmoms.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...