Monday, September 16, 2013

Dry Freezing Peaches




Last year I had my first foray into canning and this year I decided to have a go with freezing.  Canning is all well and good, but we're not big fruit spread people so I'm limiting the fruit canning this year to small batches in small jars in the hope that it'll get used more effectively.

The first food I tried freezing was peaches and I have to say I'm impressed at how well this all went.


To Start (and this step is only for peaches) I put the peaches into a water that was at a rolling boil for about 2 minutes and then transfered them to a bowl of ice water.  If you wait until you feel an air bubble under the skin of the fruit than the whole skin should peal off with relative ease.


Then we cut up the peaches into 1/8 or 1/4 sizes and then mixed the peaches with a sugar/FreshFruit preserver (ours called for 1 cup of sugar to 3 Tbsp of the preserver; this was enough for 10 lbs of peaches and about 4 lbs of strawberries).  The sugar will react with the fruits natural juices to start producing a syrup that will coat the fruit and keep it from browning.

 {my second batch did not look nearly this neat and uniform, that was the hubs cutting ability at work; these two trays were the result of about 5 lbs of whole peaches sans a few pieces lost to the process ie snaking}

Then we laid the fruit out on baking sheets and made room in the freezer.  Our batches sat in the freezer for about 9 hours over night and when we got up in the morning they were ready to be transferred to freezer bags for storage.

{the peaches the next morning}

There are multiple ways of preparing frozen fruits {syrup and variations on the sugar pack} not to mention the ease of preparing fruit purees for the freezers ( puree and store in appropriate containers with appropriate head space easy) - I highly recommend "googling" "dry freezing x-fruit" and looking up some of the information various University extensions have to offer; they are great resources.  I'm a fan of the University of Missouri Extension and found a great pdf from UCDavis about freezing strawberries.

I have a feeling that this will be a common summer job in the future since we are fans of smoothies, etc. I have plans for another round of strawberries and I'm just waiting for my basket of pears to ripen a little bit more.  It definitely makes me want to expand my resources around town to find more local/free sources of fruit for next year.  The next big task in our kitchen will processing canning tomatoes and blanching/freezing some extra summer produce for the winter.  It's definitely busy days here!

Shared on Your Green Resource - SortaCrunchy, the Barn Hop @ Homestead Revival, Little House in the Suburbs Link Up, Frugally Sustainable's Frugal Days/Sustainable Ways

{Edit: I checked prices of frozen bagged fruit at the supermarket today.  Freezing my own peak season produce will cut the cost of eating fruit in non-peak seasons by at least half or more depending on the fruit in questions}

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! This looks like a much better method than my mom's practice of freezing a whole clump of peaches in a bag . . . What you supposed to do when you just want a little? This looks perfect for smoothies! Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one good thing about this - you don't end up with just a big clump of peaches and they can be easily packaged into small sized bags or freezer jars to keep that from happening!

      Delete
  2. I want to do this to peaches too! I just have to find the time. My children have free access to all the fruit & veggies they can consume in our house, so whenever I buy extra with intent to "save" they go crazy eating it. I'm not complaining though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great step by step with photos. And the savings and knowing where your fruit came from is always a plus for us! Please come hang out and link up to our link party "Home is Where the Heart is" Please feel free to link up any posts you might want to share! :)
    http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-3/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I do this with berries, but had not thought about it with peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go you! Look at all that excellent fruit.

    If you cut a little "x" on the bottom of the peach before you drop it into the boiling water, you can leave it in there for just one minute, and the peach will not cook quite very much at all. The skins will still come off quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made my heart beat faster! There is a truck in town selling peaches, I may just have to stop and see what his prices are. Mmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Ah, the beauty of food in the preservation process...thanks for sharing! You might like to know that peaches (and nectarines) can be frozen in a very lazy way. You can wash, dry and freeze whole on trays. Then bag them up in freezer bags and they're ready to hit the deep freeze. When its time to use them I just run the frozen or partially frozen(depending if I remember to get them out early) fruit under some cold water and the skin slips off--ready to slice, saute, bake, whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. where can I buy the fresh fruit preserver?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be able to find it in any store that sells canning supplies; you might want to check in your produce aisle because I know some folks use it on fruit salads to keep the fruit looking fresh! Good luck!

      Delete