Sunday, July 8, 2012

Survivor

The weather finally broke today after a week of 100+ degree days.  This summer is rough folks and we need rain.  We might not grow a lot of the nations fruits and veggies in the Midwest anymore, but our soybeans and corn are big commodities in the world and a small crop might push up prices for a lot of surprising things come this winter.  I'm not trying to be too alarmist, but the last couple years of getting more acquainted with the sources and work that goes into my food makes me more aware of the seasons and their affect on my world.

Things are weathering well here.  We pulled up our carrots, a few cucs, the first potatoes and the last of our first onions (two rows of later onions still sitting).  I'll have large blank spots in the garden at the Big House in a few weeks and am trying to figure out what fall crops I should stick in during August and September.  I also have plans for two raised beds here at the Cottage this fall which I'm hoping to use for garlic and other winter hardy veg.

 We've been fighting "blossom end rot" like crazy because of the drought conditions, but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with my romas.




 I may get some green beans yet!


Our first, but badly photographed, addition to our house.  We pulled out some self-starting peonies from this forgotten corner and put in two red raspberry bushes.  I can't wait for next year!

Up at the Big House we've got more cucs, yellow beans, tomatoes, corn, the last of the onions and potatoes growing along with a lot of herbs that need to be cut and dried.

This gardening thing feels like slow going some times.  It often feels like I'm barely getting the rewards for my work.  But one day I know I'll work up to the point where my backyard endeavors can really feed my family and all of this will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...