Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pray for Rain


Hey lovely friends.  Sorry it's been slow here, the steroid I was put on to fight my allergic reaction last week is kind of kicking my behind - I guess that's what I get for rarely taking medications - and I've been walking around in a "so tired, can't sleep, getting grumpy" kind of daze for the last few days.

However, I felt the need to petition all my lovely, prayerful people out here to stop just for a moment and pray for rain.  It's been almost 2 weeks since we received rain here and even then it was barely over half an inch, followed by a week of over 100 degree temps; that brief rain was preceeded by a month with barely more than an inch total when we usually get around 5.  (Go HERE and you can see us in the orange circle in Eastern Iowa and we're not the worst of it) For those who don't know, the ground moisture evaporates at a rate of 1/4 inch a day when the temps get over 90, so it's getting bad. 

Today I made a point of offering up all my work and troubles for the rest of the month as a prayer for rain and not saying it had any affect, but out of the blue we have rain headed our way (within 8 hours from 0% to 40% chances) so it makes me hopeful.  We don't need much, a couple days of rain to get at least half way to our average could make it or break it for many large farms and small gardens.

If you could take a moment consider reciting this prayer I found for rain or any other version you feel drawn to for the sake of the farmers in our area and across the Midwest and for those battling wildfires in the West.

O God, in Whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us rain, in due abundance, that, being sufficiently helped with temporal, we may the more confidently seek after eternal gifts. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen. 

And while you're at it let's not forget to say "Thank You" for the clean water in your cup and the food that has arrived at your table despite these trying agricultural times.

5 comments:

  1. I've been praying for rain. Maybe it has worked. We have had two showers this week but only a few hundredths of an inch each time- only enough to tease us and not enough to help. I've been distressed by the number of trees that are now suffering and showing the effects of the drought.

    And another question... were you serious about chicken sitting in August?? Let me know..

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over here in England we've had rain constantly since easter! Can ewe swap?
    Zoe
    Xxx
    Http://notyouraveragezoe.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying (and BTW lovely prayer you found!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that prayer - it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...