Monday, July 23, 2012

Full Swing

The season is upon us.  Things are ripening and starting to come in from the garden full tilt. 

I processed a dozen ears of sweet corn from our CSA yesterday for freezing.

 
{corn goes well with cookies, right?}
And have about 10 lbs of peaches from the grocery store that I will be dry freezing today or tomorrow.

 

We also harvested the last of our potatoes and a good amount of the pears from my parents pear tree.  The potatoes will go into the pantry and I'm just waiting for the pears to rippen a little more and then have plans to sugar or syrup pack them for the freezer.





Our CSA has been keeping up despite the drought, thanks to an irrigation system and night watering, so we can expect larger boxes and more extras over the next few weeks.  Even the folks that run our CSA have started encouraging people to make use of the free extra veggies they offer to stock up for the winter in case the drought really hits food prices.  We'll be making use of their free herb bed and 20 lbs of canning tomatoes in a few weeks so we'll definitely be keeping busy.

I always love this time of year - it's so busy and productive, but mainly I love it because it means my real favorite time of year is just around the corner.  Sweaters, holidays, lots of crafting and eating is on it's way!

5 comments:

  1. This is my absolute favourite time of year for the same reason: I LOVE eating out of the garden, spending days canning and freezing and dehydrating.

    What is dry-freezing, by the way? Tell me how you do it! It sounds like something I should be doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it before, but my sources say to rinse with an anti-brown mix (like fruitfresh, etc.) and then just lay on a sheet in the freezer for about 6 hours. It's supposed to work for a good number of fruits, and I've been wanting to stock the freezer with cut up fruit for winter smoothies. If it works I'm going to give it a try with strawberries and blueberries too!

      Delete
  2. I did the dry freezing with peaches a few years ago and it works like a dream! I'm glad to see I not the only one that bought 10 lbs of peaches in the sale! There were actually some decent deals this week. I'm debating going to pick up a few more things before the sale ends.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of getting a couple cartons of strawberries and maybe some more peaches after we hit up the County Fair Kids activities tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Corn is a good thing to be processing especially now, with the drought going so strong.
    I'm sure the price of corn isn't going down anytime soon.
    Oh! and the dry -freezing is great too.
    I've done that with berries, zucchini,peas, brussels sprouts (well, I blanched the veggies first.)
    It works like a charm!

    Off to read the story in your other post you linked!
    Have a great week.
    I'm having a give away for some cloths... come leave me a post,and put your name in the pot. (leave a comment on each post this week for more chances.)

    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...