Friday, March 23, 2012

Flipping Thru Friday

Story-time is being thoroughly enjoyed at our house over the last couple weeks since Henry is developing the ability to sit still for longer periods of time and really enjoy books as more than objects.  While we still give him plenty of roaming room if he needs it he has started spending more time cuddled up or in my lap as I read and less time trying to tear at the pages.  This is the moment I've been waiting for, I live for story-time.

Last week I shared a few of the books that have recently expanded our library and I though to expand on that tradition now that I feel comfortable checking out books from the library for him (there's a lot less page ripping going on now).

Henry's Enjoying:

Knitty Kitty by David Elliot and Illustrated by Christopher Denise

The story is simple, but the illustrations are lovely.  I'll be remembering this one when the cold weather comes around again.








Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle by John Abbot Nez

A true story about a brave boy in the early days of aviation.  A great story with fantastic illustrations that I'm sure I'll be checking out again and again.  My husband as filled Cromwell Dixon away under "possible history research project" candidates for the future.







Tyrannosaurus Dad by Liz Rosenberg and Illustrated by Matthew Myers

Not our favorite of the three we checked out, but still worth taking home at least once.  I wouldn't surprised if this finds its way into the pile again when we reach the crazy-about-dinosaur phase in a couple of years.






I'm enjoying:

Dynamic Catholic by Matthew Kelly - Finally finished and a great read with the foremost question being "What's keeping you from being the best-version-of-yourself?" and a Catholic approach to answering that question and potentially recharging your faith life.  Catholics don't get a lot of material like this, most of our religious literature is in the form of apologetics which can often be rather dry and uninspiring at times when you're just needing a little motivation and it's nice to have at least one book in the arsenal that is not only encouraging a real understanding of one's faith, but giving you permission to get excited about it.


How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way by Tim Seldin.  I'm really enjoying this book, a lot of great examples and clear concise writing.  Most Montessori books start with activities and other experience for children over the ages of two; this book starts at birth which is a great resource.







Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Preschool Years by Elizabeth G. Mainstock.  An amazing resources of activities for the young child.  Even if you're not eager to embrace all or most of the Montessori Method I highly recommend add this book to your personal or public library just for the wealth of simple, enriching, educational and relatively cheap/affordable activities to do with your toddler/pre-schooler.  The last section is instructions on how to make your own materials for most of the activities at home.



We've also been jamming out to a lot of They Might Be Giants in the car -

Just a great CD of kid's music you'd be willing to keep on after they've fallen asleep in car.

What have you been flipping thru this week?

3 comments:

  1. Hobby Farms: Chicken edition
    Country Wisdom and Know How
    My Bible

    My little granddaughter comes to my house daily--and she loves to "read". I have a treasured set of Winnie the Pooh - a.a.milne, that were her mothers when she was a baby...she sits through a whole story!
    But she (not her mother) has wrecked havoc on the set already. They are much loved.

    enjoy your time reading to Henry.

    ~Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes books are meant to be "loved" =D I'm always glad to hear of folks passing down a love of reading to the next generation!

      Delete
  2. We love "Tyrannosaurus Dad"! It's a frequent library request. I'm so glad I checked out your list because I have been looking for a good book about teaching Montessori at home. I'm definitely adding this one to my library list. This week our favorites from the library are:
    1) 4 y.o.'s fave: "Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella" and "What the Ladybug Heard"

    2) My fave for kids: "On the Night You Were Born" (prepare to cry); and for grown-ups: "The Urban Farm Handbook."

    You've inspired me to write about these on my blog! Thanks Molly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...