Friday, February 17, 2012

Quick Takes

It's been a while since I've done a Quick Take, but I thought it'd be a good way to wrap up the week.

1) First a big THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to read and leave a comment on my Glowing Motherhood post I hope to be able to continue my story, share a little more, and reach out to others who've found themselves in a similar frame of mind.  I was filled with great joy to hear others realize that they were not alone.  Please feel free to share that post whenever you may have need of it.

2)  Birthday and Baptism celebration went off without a hitch - if you consider us not having a clue how what we were doing during the ceremony going off without a hitch.  All in all it was kind of hilarious.

3)  Ben and I had our second official date night since Henry was born.  We had dinner out and went to see one of our favorite bands - Gaelic Storm - perform at our local (community saved from being turned into a bar) theatre.  While I'll always prefer to see there shows in a venue where I can really get up and dance (and have better access to Guinness) it was a great show and it's was nice to have some adult time.  All that being said, we were more than anxious to get home to our boy.

4)With last weekend being the party and the weekend before being the Battle of the Stomach Flu I've gotten off track with my meal planning and grocery shopping.  Luckily between being sick, sharing meals with visiting family and lots of party leftovers I don't see the need for a large shopping trip this weekend.  Just going to stock up on fresh dairy and the weeks fruit and veg.

5) To help keep extraneous spending in check (all the little things and work lunches) the hubs and I opened separate checking accounts.  We agreed on a set amount we'll receive at the beginning of the month and what types of items constitute person vs. family account spending.  So far, so good.  I feel that things are a little more balanced now that the hubs has his own "allowance" - I've often felt guilt at the money I spend since I run errands and am out more, there by I, literally, spend the most of the money.  Now there's a way for us to know that we both get a fair share every month.  It also doesn't feel like I have to keep as close a watch on our main account throughout the month since all major, fixed expenditures are already carefully budgeted into our available cushion and monthly income.

6)  In keeping with my New Year's "Priority" I've been making sure to make a little more time for family in the last month and a half.  This usually means spending less time around these parts, but the payoff is great and I've definitely seen an improvement in certain aspects of my family life. 

7)  I also got the gift of time on Wednesday when Henry's Nana and Pop-pop (great grandparents) demanded some one on one time and sent me out on my own.  I have to admit I spent most of it wandering around the bookstore and added (with $ from my personal spending account) a few new titles to my nightstand.



"Montessori from the Start" - I'm a big fan of Montessori Education for young children and want to start learning a little bit more on how to incorporate their ideas of "child led learning" into Henry's Pre-school years.







"Square Foot Gardening" - More to come on our gardening plans for this year, but for now I'm digging in a little deeper and making a solid plan with a little help from this book.









"Second Nature: A Gardener's Education" - A little inspiration while I wait for spring.









7b)  Anyone have any parenting magazine suggestions?  "Parenting" magazine just isn't my style (way too many ads all over the same old articles for a start) and I never feel "crunchy" enough for "Mothering" (more on that later).  Anyone have a source on a good middle ground parenting mag for those of us who kind of end up in the middle?

Have a great weekend everyone!

P.S. - Feel free to leave your recommendations for gardening and early childhood education resources!  I'm always looking to expand the library!

2 comments:

  1. "Square Foot Gardening" is an awesome resource. I've used it for 8 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been pining over it for a while! I can't wait to see the improvement in our garden this year - and I love that he breaks down the space you need to easily feed a family, so encouraging!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...