Sunday, February 5, 2012

Molly Makes {Magnets}

We've been needing something new and fun to play with in the kitchen - the drawer of Tupperware wasn't keeping us distracted long enough for dinner.  I noticed Henry was interested in the few paltry magnets we had for the fridge and decided he needed something a little more kid friendly.  Here's how we, quickly, made some great magnets, a perfect size for your favorite little!

You'll Need:
  • A pack of circular magnets
  • Glue
  • Wooden cut outs
We found these cut outs at our local Hobby Lobby, in fact I found them last year and have been hemming and hawing over what I wanted to make out of them forever!

With your wood object face down, clean and remove any unnecessary stuff from the backs.


Apply small dab of glue to the back and set magnet in the center - we ended up using wood glue, but I'm super hot glue or something equally strong would work.  I'm not going to recommend regularly Elmer's Glue because I'm not 100% sure that it's strong enough to hold up to the abuse fun Little's can put their toys through.  I chose the thicker round magnet to insure a little gap between the wood and the fridge for little finger, but the magnet strips would work just as well!

Let dry over night.  Ideally, use a clamp, large book or other such item to as a weight to insure a good bond - pressure is actually what insures a good bond with glue!  If using strong magnets be sure to give your items enough room so that the backs aren't pulling toward each other.

Once dry and secure these are ready to use!  I look forward to these being a kitchen staple for a long time and adding more magnet games and activities as my Little gets bigger.

7 comments:

  1. cute! i did this with similar wooden cutouts when my kiddo was little. they got a lot of use!

    now that he's older, i'm keeping my eye out for a scrabble game at the thrif shop, so i can make magnets with the letters. although, now that i think about it, i may have to find someplace other than the fridge for them so that his little sister doesn't grab them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find the letter magnets you can just see in the corner at our Hobby Lobby for about $3-4 a bag for a complete alphabet. They were already magnetized, which was a plus!

      Delete
  2. Sooo cute! Love them, my girls would have fun with these! I haven't been getting any of your updates even though I subscribed after you switched over... no idea why? I'll have to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh! Thanks for the heads up, I'll check all my settings!

      Delete
  3. Very fun I know my 22 month old son would love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super fun idea with so many creative possibilites and these would make great gifts too:-)
    I'm so glad you dropped by and I really welcomed this contribution last week to the Seasonal Celebration Linky- a great collection of seasonal recipes, homemaking, crafts, homeschooling and motherhood thank you so much!
    Seasonal Celebration is live once more, so feel free to pop over and join this wonderful celebration of creative talent! http://naturalmothersnetwork.com Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...