- Eating out/ "work food" - Realistic Monthly Budget $100 ($10/week/person on work food, $20 eating out) Ideal Monthly Budget $60 - Goal Met? Almost, I did really good this month, but the hubby used a little more than he normally did. We also had a day sitting with family in the hospital factored in here.
- The No Clothing Challenge - Realistic Monthly Budget $25 Ideal Monthly Budget $0 Goal Met? Very close, we needed to PJ's for the kiddo and none were to be found in the consignment shop, so I hit up a really good sale at a kids store
- The Entertainment List - Realistic Monthly Budget $40Ideal Monthly Budget $30 Goal Met? Nope, hubby's game subscription was renewed this month and he broke his headphones and I succumbed to a book purchase. Oh well, like I said before, it happens - he renews the subscription for multiple months at once to get a discount, and used a great deal for the headphones, so we came out ahead of what it could have been in the end.
- Vacation/Travel -Realistic Monthly Budget (for months with travel, room + extra gas) $125 Ideal Monthly Budget $5 Goal Met? - Yes! Didn't do any traveling this month, and probably won't in October.
- Groceries - Realistic Monthly Budget $800 ($50/person/week ) or $400 for my half-share of the bills Ideal Monthly $600 ($37.50/person/week) or $300 for my half-share of the bills. Goal Met? Nope, however it was almost a 5 week month, the baby's stock of everything was depleated so I stocked up for another couple months, and I purchased for some bulk projects I've working on. I'm hoping we can really start utilitizing our stores this fall and I really need to figure out a way to account for non-food items in some of those bills to get a better idea of what's being spent on what.
So in all it sounds like a bad month, however it wasn't. We had some big purchases - our family photos and a new carseat which came out of savings, we paid off the car, we treated my mother to dinner for her birthday, etc. however factor those out and adjust things around and were still on track for having effective spending habits with a mortgage and more childcare factored in.
So for October, I'll still be working to reach those Ideal Goals and doing a little more careful calculations to see where any problems are. I know want to be shopping for groceries more at real grocery stores, not stores that have groceries in them to keep from confusing the budget.
Onwards and upwards - we won our battle yesterday and keep us in your prayers that we get good news on the dayshifts soon.