Monday, July 18, 2011

The Haul 2

I plan on giving a regular tally of what the garden produces this year, I'd like to see (approximately) the amount, in dollars, the garden has saved us.

So far the crop is small.

3 Strawberries

2 yellow peppers

3/4 lb of zucchini

1 1/2 lbs of cucumbers

1/2 of small red and orange tomatoes

 

1 bunch of radishes

Basil - amount to be determined

Oregano - TBD

Cilantro - TBD



 



 



 

We just got back from our first road trip with Little Bear to visit so relatives, we're beat and while I was gone all the pumpkin plants decided that they wanted to take over the garden.  Lots of work to bed done - probably will need to get up early tomorrow to beat the heat.

I'm loosing hope in my cucumber and zucchini plants, I think the powdery mildew is winning on the cucumber and we're not getting a lot of pollination on the zucchini.  I've come to realize I'm not too upset about the later as I'm not much of a zucchini eater, in fact I might just skip it all together next year along with making sure I buy PM-resistant cucumbers.

I did plant a few string bean plants in the garden last week for a late harvest/nitrogen refueling attempt and I'm just hoping I can keep the pumpkins from sprawling across the white onions and carrots long enough to get a harvest.  And if I had been here this weekend I could have gotten a few more strawberries of the vine before heat and birds did them in; oh well, the runners are still going strong so I'm hoping for lots of strawberries next year!

In a few weeks we'll be in tomato and pepper overload.

Over all, with all the successes and failures so far, not too bad for my first real attempt at a garden!

3 comments:

  1. Ummm ... when I was stringing up the rope fencing, I helped myself to some of the strawberries! Can't wait to get home and try to radishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's brilliant to start a garden to save on groceries...love free healthy organic produce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's the plan... hopefully next years will be bigger, better and better planned!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...